Space and Speculation
Space and Speculation collects several science Fiction short stories. In this volume:
- Gray's World, The Empire encounters a world where their technology doesn't work. Jonathan Gray wants to study the planet to learn why, but the Empire has other ideas, including war and conquest.
- Telescopevision, George Zyberg, an astrophysicist, invents a telescope that lets him see the events on a mirror planet that is several days ahead of our own. Using it he is able to predict events before they happen. But he goes too far and tips off the police about the robbery of the Central Bank. Now a group of gangsters are not too happy with him and plan to settle up with him.
- Carbon Footprint, In the effort to combat global warming and greenhouse gases, researchers develop a new form of algae and a synthetic material to grow it on. Months later reports of strange monsters surface. Is there a connection? Mission to Centauri B: Traveling to Earth-like planets can be tricky especially if the life on those worlds isn't based on water, but something else.
- The Next Big Idea: Where do the ideas and technology that change the world come from? People's imaginations? Is it random? Or are we making the best selections from a list of choices?
- A Day in Court, Rhonda is assigned to live on the first Earth colony, Centauri B. She does not want to go. Only a hearing before a magistrate keeps her from leaving her home forever.
- Return to Gray's World, The exploration of the strange alien world QJZ is complete but what has been learned makes no sense. The Empire dismisses this intelligence and moves against it. Will they succeed this time to conquer the world or regret it?
- Timekeepers: Traveling back in time Nero gets caught up in events he was sent to record and observe.
The book is available in electronic and paper formats.